The XXX Annual Synod of the Diocese of the United Kingdom met at the Holiday Inn, Great Barr, Birmingham on Saturday 30th April 2022.
Before the Synod Mass the Bishop received The Revd Gordon Tall into the ACC from an Old Catholic Church. Fr Tall will assist Fr Miles Maylor at Parish in Pembrokeshire, South Wales.
The Very Revd Dr Jonathan Munn (Sheffield) made his canonical vows and was confirmed as Dean of our Northern Deanery. The Very Revd Andrew Scurr (Rochester) likewise made his vows and was confirmed as Dean of the South. The Venerable Raymond Thompson, Archdeacon, was also formerly inducted as Vicar General of the Diocese.
The Sung Mass was accompanied by The Revd Gareth Parry on the organ. Fr Jonathan Munn preached.
After Mass delegates broke for lunch in the hotel restaurant and then reassembled in the afternoon for the business session of Synod.
The Bishop’s Charge to Synod will be published in the next edition of ACC-UK The Diocesan Magazine.
Synod consented to the Bishop’s appointments of:
- Dr Frank Wiswall Jnr., (Original Province) as Diocesan Chancellor
- Mr Mark Morgan (St Alban the Martyr, Salford) as Diocesan Secretary
- Mr Michael Smales (The Good Shepherd and St Tudwal, Conwy, Wales) as Diocesan Treasurer
- Mrs Kerry Scott (Non ACC) as Assistant Treasurer and Bookkeeper
- Mrs Margaret Mead (St Augustine, Painters Forstal) as Historian and Archivist
- The Rev Martin Charlesworth (Our Lady and St Anthony, York) as Safeguarding Officer
- Mr Ronald Holme (The Good Shepherd and St Tudwal, Conwy, Wales) as Assistant Safeguarding Officer
- The Very Rev Andrew Scurr (Our Lady of Walsingham and St Francis, Rochester) Risk Assessment Officer
- The Venerable Raymond Thompson (St Augustine, Painter’s Forstal) as Chairman of the Board of Ministry & Education
- The Very Rev Dr Jonathan Munn Obl/OSB (Dean) as Northern Deanery Administrator to the Anglican Catholic Fellowship
- The Very Rev Andrew Scurr (Dean) as Southern Deanery Administrator to the Anglican Catholic Fellowship
- The Very Rev Dr Jonathan Munn Obl/OSB (St Anselm and St Odile, Sheffield) as Editor of ACC-UK
- The Very Rev Dr Jonathan Munn Obl OSB (St Anselm and St Odile, Sheffield) as Assistant Webmaster
- Mr Mark Morgan (St Alban the Martyr, Salford) as Trinitarian Promoter
- Mr Philip P. James, A.A.S., as Independent Examiner
The appointment of Mr Mark Morgan as Diocesan Secretary, was in succession to Dr Roy Fidge who has served as Secretary for many years.
During the afternoon, Bishop Damien presented Mr Michael Smales with his Bishop’s Award 2022 for exemplary Lay Service to the Diocese and ACC.
The Synod voted to allow the Council of Advice to explore possible Diocesan Membership of Churches Together in England over the coming Year, and to report back to Synod in 2023.
The Accounts for 2021 were formally approved and the proposed budget was set for 2022 at £42,248
At the end of the day resolutions were passed to send loyal greetings from Synod to Archbishop Mark Haverland, and to Her Majesty the Queen on the occasion of her Platinum Jubilee this year.
The Bishop also stated his personal thanks to Dr Roy Fidge for many years of service to the Diocese, although unfortunately Dr Fidge had to leave the Synod early.