Anglican Catholic Church

Canterbury Church Shop News

Picture 1776
Historic Conquest House

Historic Conquest House

The intended venue for the relocated Canterbury Church Shop Ltd (and soon to be opened Pilgrims Refectory). Until the relocation takes place business continues at the Orange Street premises.

Picture 1782
The Entrance Passage

The Entrance Passage

The entrance passage, originally open ended and leading to the garden at the rear.

Picture 1781
The Front Room

The Front Room

This ground floor room will become the service and seating area of the Refectory

Picture 1786
The Undercroft

The Undercroft

The Norman Undercroft will provide additional seating for the Refectory. The arched door in the corner, now a cupboard, is said to have once been the opening to a tunnel to the Archbishop's Palace across the road!

Picture 1783
The Shop Floor

The Shop Floor

The raised upper ground floor at the rear of the house will be used as the shop floor for the canterbury Church Shop. The Galleries over are where it is believed Medieval pilgrims to the Shrine of St Thomas Becket slept

Picture 1784
The Ceiling

The Ceiling

The beamed ceiling over the shop area

Picture 1785
Staircase

Staircase

The staircase from the shop to the first floor office.

Picture 1787
Office

Office

The First Flloor Office will provide space for the Shop Manager and also an office for the Bishop.

Rear

The back of Conquest House from the small walled garden

Picture 1789
Garden

Garden

Bishop Mead explores the small walled garden - an oasis of peace in the midst of the bustling City of Canterbury. In the summer it is hoped this will provide a seating area for the Refectory.

Picture 1775
Martyrdom of St Thomas Becket

Martyrdom of St Thomas Becket

The Icon showing St Thomas Becket's martyrdom and the four knights hangs in St Augustine's Anglican Catholic Church, Best Lane, Canterbury, Kent. Copies are available from the Canterbury Church Shop.

The Bishop has announced that the Canterbury Church Shop Ltd has signed a lease on the historic Conquest House, 17 Palace Street, Canterbury, Kent.

In the next few months the existing shop in Orange Street will relocate to the new building and in due course, once all the necessary work has been undertaken, under the direction of an architect, a Christian Tearoom / cafe will also be opened and called the 'Pilgrims Refectory'.

Conquest House, which is outwardly a 16th Century timber-framed house, internally dates from the early years of the Norman Conquest.

In 1170 the 4 knights De Tracy, De Moreville, Fitzurse and Le Breton divested themselves of their arms here before seeking an interview with Becket in his palace, across the street. Having been unsuccessful in persuading the Archbishop to return with them to France to meet with the King, they returned to the house, then known as the 'House of Gilbert the Citizen' to rearm themselves. Becket went to Canterbury Cathedral for Vespers as usual, forbidding his monks to lock the doors, and it was at the altar that the knights found him. The rest is history, and St Thomas Becket's martyrdom turned Canterbury into one of the premier places of pilgrimage in England, right up to the time of Henry VIII's Reformation.

Bishop Mead also announced that Mr Richard Mulholland, the Shop Manager since the shop opened in September 2010, has, for personal reasons, left the employment of the company. The Bishop wished to express his gratitude to Richard for overseeing the seminal years of the shops development and wished him well for the future.

While a new shop manager is recruited, Mrs Beatrice Engramer, Shop Supervisor, will continue to help customers in the shop at 13 Orange Street, Canterbury, Kent CT1 2JB and online at www.canterburychurchshop.co.uk